Sunday, March 22, 2015

Vayikra

Shabbat shalom! This week we start the book of Leviticus (aka the book with no stories). BUT even though there aren't stories the Torah still has something to say! Vayikra gives us the details about sacrificing animals...ew. But what was the point of sacrificing animals anyways? The word for sacrifice comes from the same root as the word 'close'. So giving a sacrifice was supposed to bring the people closer to God. Think of it this way, when it's nice outside what do you do? You have a barbecue! And God likes a good BBQ.


There were even different types of sacrifices for when you alone sinned, the community as a whole sinned or if you might have sinned but aren't sure. And for the vegetarians out there, most sacrifices had a veggie option! Not because some Israelites were vegans but because meat is hella expensive. Seriously, back then buying an ox was like buying a motorcycle!


Today, instead of sacrificing animals three times a day we (are supposed to) pray three times a day. Also, many younger people feel like they are sacrificing their Friday nights and/or Saturday mornings and go to services. Yes, that sounds like a terrible way to put it but, we live in a country where everything does not come to a standstill every Friday. On the 4th of July, I was in Jerusalem for Shabbat and as I looked out the windows of the bus I could see all the people scurrying around so they could get ready in time for Shabbat. Many people even start saying "Shabbat Shalom" on Wednesday! It's like a holy countdown for everything to freeze when the sun goes down on Friday night.

Anyways, the whole point of sacrificing animals was not just burning it but the feeling it gives you. It's the same thing with sacrificing  your Friday night. So maybe I would rather watch Netflix or go out with my friends but when I do go to services I try to remember why I'm there. I look up at the gold words on the ceiling or listen to my mom singing in the choir and I think about how lucky I am to be on this planet, living this life. Try to take the "veggie option" this week and sacrifice some of your time to pray and be thankful that you are here. (This is the one time that I will advise you not to be like Ron Swanson, metaphorical veggies are good for you!)


No comments:

Post a Comment